Creating your About page
Now you have a slick and stylish homepage for your website, you need to let visitors know a little more about you and your artwork. In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to create an ‘About’ page similar to the one over at DarenRedman.com/About using the Klasik WordPress theme from ThemeForest.net.
Images for the About page
First of all, you’ll need 3 striking images of your work. Select pieces that look great in detail as the size of the images is fixed, so you won’t necessarily be able to display the entire piece. Crop them to 285 pixels wide x 200 pixels tall. For guidelines on cropping images, go back to Creating your homepage.
Building the About page
1. Now go to your WordPress dashboard. Hover over ‘Pages’ and click on ‘Add New’.
2. Enter the title of the page.
3. From the drop down menu under ‘Template’ choose ‘About’.
4. Enter your intro text in the box. This can be as much or as little as you like. With Daren’s site, we opted for just a couple of introductory sentences, before getting more specific further down the page.
5. Now scroll down to the ‘About Fields’ section.
6. Enter the ‘Page Title’. (Note: This is the title that will actually display on the page. The title you entered previously is for WordPress reference only).
7. Next click ‘Add a paragraph’.
The paragraphs you add here will appear in three columns a shown below:
It is possible to add more than three paragraphs, but it starts to look a little overwhelming for the visitor.
For Daren’s site we chose to give the paragraphs the headings ‘Inspiration’, ‘Techniques’ and ‘Career Highlights’, but you can label them whatever is most pertinent to your own work.
8. Type in the title for your paragraph in the ‘Title’ field.
9. It’s now time to upload one of the images you created earlier. This could be an image that relates specifically to the subject of the paragraph or, as we chose for Daren’s site, something vibrant and eye-catching, but it must measure 285 x 200 pixels.
Click inside the ‘Content’ box, then click on ‘Add Media’.
10. Drag and drop the image from wherever you saved it on your computer into the Media uploader. Add some pertinent information to the following fields: ‘Title’, ‘Alt Text’ and ‘Description’. This will help search engines know what the subject of the site is and display the URL in search results. Click ‘Insert into page’.
11. Underneath the image, add the text that pertains to the title of this particular paragraph. For DarenRedman.com, under ‘Inspiration’ we added a couple of paragraphs about Daren’s love of nature and architecture.
12. Add 2 more paragraphs and 2 more images, measuring 285 x 200 pixels (using steps 7-11).
13. Click ‘Publish’.